News

Defence abuse victims could get compo

MORE than 700 victims of abuse within the Department of Defence may get compensation, or even an official apology, after a review of systemic problems within the department is released publicly on Thursday night.

The executive summary of the DLA Piper Report, released under Freedom of Information laws, detailed more than 770 plausible allegations of abuse within military ranks in the past 60 years.

It paints a scathing picture of the uphill battle the government has to rid the Defence department of its systemic problems.

Of the 109 recommendations the review made, 85 were fully accepted by the department and a further 24 were accepted in-principle.

Spurred on by the "ADFA Skype incident" in April last year, where cadet filmed and webcast a sexual act between two other cadets, more than 1000 allegations of sexual and other forms of abuse were made to the department, sparking the review.

Defence Minister Stephen Smith said the review had two phases, the first of which was complete.

He said the second would be a review of Defence's process for responding to allegations of a sexual or abuse nature, as well as oversee the department's implementation of the review's recommendations.

Topics:  department of defence, sexual abuse


Local Real Estate

finda logo
Featured Real Estate
Bidding Welcome from... AUCTION
Residential Land 0 0
Must Be Sold Prior to... Offers Over...
House 5 2 2
Green With Lifestyle... $295,000
House 3 2 1
Lifestyle Property In... $315,000
House 3 1 2

Join the Community.

Get your local news, your way.

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.


Marketplace

Special Offers & Promotions

Compare & Save