News

‘Dirty electricity’ devices prove faulty

A YAMBA woman says there could be dangerous electronic devices plugged into power points in local homes and businesses that can cause fires.

Yesterday Yannick Martin's Clubyamba office was only minutes away from destruction when a device to filter electro-magnetic waves caused by so-called "dirty electricity" melted and caught fire.

The device, called a Stetzerizer Filter, is supposed to filter out "electromagnetic (EM) radiation from extremely low frequency (ELF) voltages caused by transients and harmonics on the building wiring" according to a website in the US advertising the product.

She said one of her employees had three of the devices in her house and when they checked them yesterday, two showed signs of charring and melting.

Ms Martin said her ex-husband, Howard Hall, had read about the dangers of electro-magnetic radiation in the home and workplace and wanted to safeguard his family and employees by installing these devices in their home and business.

She said her former husband had convinced other people in Yamba to install Stetzerizer filters.

"I contacted as many people as I could who I thought Howard might have convinced to buy these things, to warn them" she said.

Fortunately staff came upon the blaze before it could cause significant damage.

The electrician called in to clean up the mess, Yamba's John Smykowsky, described the devices as ticking time bombs.

He said the problem with them could either be poor quality components called capacitors or inductors, or an arrangement of them that caused them to overheat.

He said this could lead them to fail over time without any outward sign of trouble.

"Eventually the casing carbonises, it melts and then catches fire."

Mr Smykowsky likened the device to the faulty USB chargers which electrocuted a Sydney woman in June.

He said since the call out to Clubyamba yesterday morning he had done some research on the product and couldn't find any Australian standard for it.

His research also turned up web pages in the USA which warned the Stetzerizer filter was a fire hazard.

"With things like this freely available for sale it makes me worried about the way we are maintaining standards in Australia," he said.

Emeritus Professor at Queensland University of Technology specialising in electro-magnetic radiation, Professor Ian Longstaff, said these devices could not work in the way they were advertised.

He said the only way to protect people from electro-magnetic radiation was to live in a Faraday cage, a wire mesh box, which did eliminate electro-magnetic radiation.

The Daily Examiner contacted Fair Trading NSW about this product, but it did not return the calls.

The person who sold the devices locally said he no longer does so and did not want to comment on them.

The STETZERiZER GS-F240-EF Filter by Graham and Stetzer is designed to be plugged into any conventional domestic and commercial building electrical wiring power outlet to remove undesirable electromagnetic (EM) radiation from extremely low frequency (ELF) voltages caused by transients and harmonics on the building wiring.

These voltages, which are variable according to the different types of installed electrical equipment and power loads, are present on the indoor electrical wiring of every domestic house and commercial building.




We need to grow new farmers

Mr Ford said he would consider using his drone for commercial use.

The aging workforce behind our farms puts them in danger

Body of missing man recovered by police divers

The man went missing on Wednesday after his car was swept off a bridge on Martins Road into floodwaters at Larnook.

Days of searching after car swept into floodwaters

125th birthday draws crowd to Tucabia

Ex-Tucabia Public School students Betty Freeman, Marie and Jack Preston and Joyce Tarrant at the schools 125th birthday celebration on Saturday.

The old and young celebrate Tucabia's 125th birthday.

Latest deals and offers

MOVIE REVIEW: Life on the Road

Ricky Gervais, Ben Bailey Smith and Foregone Conclusion (Steve Clarke, Andy Burrows, Stuart Baxter Wilkinson, Michael Clarke) in a scene from David Brent: Life on the Road.

Ricky Gervais has brought David Brent back to life on the big screen

Jessica Alba wants tequila shots served at her funeral

Businesswoman and actor Jessica Alba

There won't be mourning at this funeral

Tom Hiddleston's Instagram account hacked

Actor Tom Hiddleston

Thor star the latest celebrity targetted by hackers

Charlize Theron's son dresses up as Frozen character

Actor Charlize Theron

Star's son spotted dressed a beloved Frozen character

BOOKS: Food for thought in Caroline Beecham's latest novel

Maggie's Kitchen by Caroline Beecham is published by Allen & Unwin, RRP $29.99.

New novel reminds readers that bravery exists in many forms

TELEVISION: New show is a Survivor, for now

Jonathan LaPaglia hosts the TV series Australian Survivor.

WHAT happens when a new show with a big budget flops?

REVEALED: Pat Rafter's $18m Coast house on the market

Check out the photos of the Coast's most expensive property for sale

The "correction we had to have" in Gladstone's rentals

UPWARD MARCH: The rental vacancy rate in Gladstone has improved for the first time in more than a year, providing a confidence boost in the market.

Vacancy rates improve with signs that things are getting betterF

ISLAND FOR SALE: Cheap Fraser Coast island drops price again

Suna Island in the Great Sandy Strait will be auctioned by Ray White Hervey Bay on Saturday morning.

This is the cheapest island you will find for sale in Australia

How a family home can fit on a 250sq m block

This is what you can build on 250m2.

Here's the floor plan of a home built on 250sq m

Investors eye Gladstone's $4m island with resort approval

UP FOR SALE: Turtle Island is on the market.

CHINESE and Sydney investors flag interest in Gladstone island.

Take a sneak peek at this $19m Whitsunday mansion

Mandalay House features a private helipad.

Mandalay is currently on the market with an asking price of $19m