THEY are not battening down the hatches just yet, but across the Clarence Valley, SES volunteers are on flood watch.
SES Clarence Nambucca controller Peter Stevens said the SES received the first warning last Friday and had been busy preparing crews by fuelling cars and getting boats ready in case of an emergency.
Mr Stevens said crews were expecting coastal, rather than inland, flooding.
“At the moment it is unlikely to affect the Clarence,” he said.
See photos of the floods that hit south-east Queensland
He said flooding was more likely to affect towns further south, such as Coffs Harbour and Bellingen.
Heavy rain is also likely to cause the Orara River to rise, with flooding expected in Coutts Crossing and surrounding areas.
“We're taking the first steps for preparation ... we're not panicking,” he said.
“If the Orara floods, it will be the fourth time this year.”
The SES has aviation specialists and eight helicopters on standby at Casino and Coffs Harbour.
The Bureau of Meteorology has issued a severe weather warning and flood watch for rivers from Tweed to Nambucca, including the Clarence, with heavy rain and flooding expected until Saturday.
A high over the southern Tasman Sea and a trough over southern Queensland are expected to develop into a low pressure system further down the coast today.
The bureau's Coffs Harbour duty observer Roger Brown said Coffs Harbour was expected to receive 150 to 300 millimetres until Saturday, with heavier falls affecting towns further north.
“The north-east corner down to about Ballina and Evans Head are already being hit by the rain,” he said. “It's on its way.”
Coastal areas have been warned to prepare for high winds, with gusts in excess of 90 kilometres an hour likely.
Surf conditions are dangerous, with waves exceeding five metres in some areas.
Surf Lifesaving Australia has recommended people stay out of the water and away from surf-exposed areas.
All beaches to Coffs Harbour have been closed, with tidal inundation and beach erosion likely.
The SES has advised people to stay away from floodwaters, creek and river mouths, storm drains and causeways, and avoid shore boating and fishing.
For emergency help during storms, contact the SES on telephone 132 500. For life-threatening emergencies, contact 000.
View flood photos from south-east Queensland.
For more images of floods around the Sunshine Coast, check out The Sunshine Coast Daily's photo gallery from Wednesday, May 20, and a second flood gallery from Thursday, May 21.
Read more...
Bligh declares SEQ flood disaster
Northern NSW prepares for floods
More wet weather to come for the Sunshine Coast
Person caught in flood waters
Flood water closes Bruce Highway
Qld, NSW in for a drenching: BOM
Severe weather still expected
View the RACQ report on road closures
Check out the Bureau of Meteorology's live radar image.















