News

Gulaptis contradicts own words on issue of jail job losses

Member for Clarence Chris Gulaptis speaks to the crowd. Photo: Adam Hourigan / The Daily Examiner
Member for Clarence Chris Gulaptis speaks to the crowd. Photo: Adam Hourigan / The Daily Examiner Adam Hourigan

DESPITE being told on June 20 "about 90 jobs" would go in the Grafton Jail closure, Member for Clarence Chris Gulaptis has consistently denied he knew the extent of the losses.

His denials came into question last week when he gave evidence to the committee investigating the Corrective Services NSW job slashings.

Two days before giving that evidence, Mr Gulaptis repeated his claim that he did not know about the jail "closure" to The Daily Examiner.

"On Wednesday, 20 June, I was asked to go to the minister's office. This was my second meeting with the minister and his chief of staff," he said in front of the committee on November 23.

"I was advised that the restructure would be some- what more severe than initially suggested and that Grafton jail would be downsized to a remand centre.

"When I asked what that meant with regard to job losses I was told that it would mean the loss of about 90 jobs at the facility.

"I asked how many jobs would remain and I was advised that there would be about 30 jobs. I was shell-shocked at the news and wanted to know how we could go from 30 job losses to 90 job losses."

However in an interview with The DEX last week, Mr Gulaptis said his actions after the jail announcement were because he hadn't been prepared for the extent of the cuts, saying: "it hadn't been job losses but a closure".

In an interview on June 28, Mr Gulaptis also denied the jail would be "closed" and instead said it would be a restructure.

"Essentially we can mince words and the minister is going to say it's not a closure, it's a remand centre," he said.

"I'm not mincing words and playing semantics, with that level of loss it's essentially a closure. I don't feel like I've misled anyone and I was trying to work with the Government to minimise the impacts."

He also said it was the minister who told him the numbers, but it was the commissioner who would make the announcement.

"The numbers were never definitive until they made the announcement."

Mr Gulaptis said he had come under heavy criticism but he felt it unjust the unions had remained unscathed, despite them knowing the extent.

"It seems that everyone knows everything about it except the local member and I think that it's certainly your right to have opinions but they don't necessarily reflect the facts."

Topics:  chris gulaptis, grafton jail




Top female axemen competes in Glenreagh

Ashleigh Heath after she made it into the 300mm Underhand Handicap Final at the Glenreagh Timber Festival wood chop.

Glenreagh Timber Festival draws NZ top female axemen.

12 Things To Do this weekend

Yulgilbar Castle will open to the public on Sunday.

Check out what's happening across the Clarence Valley

Time to nominate for poll

Want to contest the elections for NSW councils? You can this Monday

Latest deals and offers

#SaveMarinaJoyce: How ISIS theory took over youtube channel

One young Youtuber accidentally gave rise to a conspiracy theory

Talking whiskey with Jack Daniel’s master distiller

It all comes down to the distillery

SIXTY MILES AHEAD sign with Eclipse Records, prepare new album 'Insanity'

Sixty Miles Ahead sign with Eclipse. Photo Contributed

Sixty Miles Ahead to release new album on Eclipse

Thy Art Is Murder are killing it

See Thy Art is Murder on their killer tour happening right now. Photo Contributed

We talk with Thy Art is Murder about touring, babies, and new music

Date announced for Prince tribute concert

A Prince tribute concert will take place later this year

Matt Damon is taking a break from acting

Matt Damon is taking a break to spend time with his family

Queensland's $1 town goes under the hammer today

The township of Yelarbon is up for sale.

Unprecedented auction of town's business centre with no reserve

Work starts on $15M Caloundra apartment building

Turning the first sod at the Aqua View Apartments site in Kings Beach are (from left) husband-and-wife developers Alex Yuan and Stella Sun with construction company Tomkins director Mike Tomkins and Councillor Tim Dwyer.

Developers excited about addition to Kings Beach skyline

Plans revealed for 1500-lot 'master-planned community'

Precinct will be bounded by Boundary St and Shoesmith Rd

Ecco Ripley sales run sparks prime release

MOVING IN: Sekisui House has announced the release of more residential blocks at Ecco Ripley.

Sekisui House is preparing to unveil more land at Ecco Ripley

Massive residential 9-storey high-rise hit by delays

An artist’s impression of the eight-storey-high apartment complex that Bernoth Holdings wants to build in South Toowoomba, next to the City Golf Club.

Developer struggles to get approved high-rise development started