News

Phone black spots 'ignored'

Cowper MP Luke Hartsuyker.
Cowper MP Luke Hartsuyker.

REGIONAL communities crying out for improved mobile phone reception will have to wait another three years after the Gillard Government ignored a recommendation to expand services, says Shadow Minister for Regional Communications Luke Hartsuyker.

The Gillard Government released its response to the Sinclair Review into regional Telecommunications late last week.

"The review found that mobile phone coverage is the number-one telecommunications issue in regional Australia and recommended the Government introduce a co-investment program with state and local government to improve mobile coverage," Mr Hartsuyker said.

"However, the Government has decided not to fund any new program until the NBN wireless network is completed in 2015.

"This is a slap in the face for regional Australians hoping for better mobile phone coverage.

"After five years of failing to address mobile phone black spots, regional Australia must now wait until at least 2015 before the Government will consider investing in improved mobile phone coverage.

"The Government is treating regional Australians as second-class citizens.

"It shows how out of touch the minister is with regional Australia and the price country people are paying for the billions wasted on duplicating broadband services in metropolitan areas.

"For the cost of rolling out the NBN over one week, many of the mobile phone black spots could be fixed across regional Australia.

"The Howard Government invested $145 million to improve mobile coverage in regional Australia.

"Since Labor was elected in 2007, not one additional cent has been invested by the Government in the mobile phone network in the regions."

The Regional Telecommunications Review provides a snapshot of services in regional Australia and identifies consumer and business concerns.

Mr Hartsuyker said the Government's response to the Sinclair Review addressed a range of issues in addition to mobile phone coverage.

The Coalition will take time to consult with stakeholders on recommendations in the Review and the Government's response.

Topics:  black spots, julia gillard, luke hartsuyker, mobile phone coverage, nbn




Top female axemen competes in Glenreagh

Ashleigh Heath after she made it into the 300mm Underhand Handicap Final at the Glenreagh Timber Festival wood chop.

Glenreagh Timber Festival draws NZ top female axemen.

12 Things To Do this weekend

Yulgilbar Castle will open to the public on Sunday.

Check out what's happening across the Clarence Valley

Time to nominate for poll

Want to contest the elections for NSW councils? You can this Monday

Latest deals and offers

#SaveMarinaJoyce: How ISIS theory took over youtube channel

One young Youtuber accidentally gave rise to a conspiracy theory

Talking whiskey with Jack Daniel’s master distiller

It all comes down to the distillery

SIXTY MILES AHEAD sign with Eclipse Records, prepare new album 'Insanity'

Sixty Miles Ahead sign with Eclipse. Photo Contributed

Sixty Miles Ahead to release new album on Eclipse

Thy Art Is Murder are killing it

See Thy Art is Murder on their killer tour happening right now. Photo Contributed

We talk with Thy Art is Murder about touring, babies, and new music

Date announced for Prince tribute concert

A Prince tribute concert will take place later this year

Matt Damon is taking a break from acting

Matt Damon is taking a break to spend time with his family

Queensland's $1 town goes under the hammer today

The township of Yelarbon is up for sale.

Unprecedented auction of town's business centre with no reserve

Work starts on $15M Caloundra apartment building

Turning the first sod at the Aqua View Apartments site in Kings Beach are (from left) husband-and-wife developers Alex Yuan and Stella Sun with construction company Tomkins director Mike Tomkins and Councillor Tim Dwyer.

Developers excited about addition to Kings Beach skyline

Plans revealed for 1500-lot 'master-planned community'

Precinct will be bounded by Boundary St and Shoesmith Rd

Ecco Ripley sales run sparks prime release

MOVING IN: Sekisui House has announced the release of more residential blocks at Ecco Ripley.

Sekisui House is preparing to unveil more land at Ecco Ripley

Massive residential 9-storey high-rise hit by delays

An artist’s impression of the eight-storey-high apartment complex that Bernoth Holdings wants to build in South Toowoomba, next to the City Golf Club.

Developer struggles to get approved high-rise development started