QUEENSLAND has joined Victoria in warning against consuming ChiTree apricot kernels after samples were found with high levels of a naturally occurring cyanide.
ChiTree apricot kernels are distributed by a Victoria-based company and recent testing of the product found it contained high levels of hydrocyanic acid.
The Victorian company has begun a voluntary recall of ChiTree apricot kernels sold in one kilogram bags.
Queensland Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young advised anyone who have recently bought the product not to eat it.
"Anyone who has purchased ChiTree apricot kernels is advised not to eat them as it is unsafe," Dr Young said.
"The ingestion of these apricot kernels could pose serious health risks and should not be consumed.
"Consumers should seek a refund of the item, whether purchased from a shop or online."
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.