News

Taking their toys away

Meagan Martin, one of the owners of Adult Toy Box, outside the shop where she wanted to open a retail store but the plan has been rejected by Clarence Valley Council.
Meagan Martin, one of the owners of Adult Toy Box, outside the shop where she wanted to open a retail store but the plan has been rejected by Clarence Valley Council. Adam Hourigan

CLARENCE Valley Council may have driven a local business out of the area when it knocked back a development application for an adult toy shop in Prince St at its meeting on Tuesday.

A partner in Grafton's Adult Toy Box, Meagan Martin, said her business partner, Troy Munro, was in Coffs Harbour yesterday looking for premises for their business after they were disappointed on Tuesday.

"We're not sure what we're going to do really," Ms Martin said.

"But taking the business down to Coffs Harbour is one of our options."

The partners, who both grew up in the Clarence, wanted to set up a shopfront to capitalise on the explosion of interest in the products they have been selling through party plans.

"We did a quick count and we came up with more than 4000 sales in the past 11 months," Ms Martin said.

And after knocking them back on Tuesday, the council was little help yesterday morning.

"I went down to council to talk with them yesterday about where we could go," she said.

"They said we could go any- where because our application fitted in with the planning rules."

She said the prospect of choosing another site in the Grafton area and council refusing it again was daunting.

"We did everything that was asked of us to comply with what they wanted," Ms Martin said.

"We even waited until the law changed at the end of last year to apply to make sure everything was right."

Ms Martin said the council voted 5-4 against the Adult Toy Box development application.

Mayor Richie Williamson did not reply to a call about this issue late yesterday afternoon.

Topics:  application, business, council, development, sex shop




Join the Community.

Get your local news, your way.

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

SES: Meet our everyday heroes

REACHING GREAT HEIGHTS: The New South Wales State Emergency Service is voluntary organisation made up of regular members of the community.

The volunteers at the forefront of life and death emergencies

Spanish firm to build new bridge

BRIDGING THE CLARENCE: State Minister for Roads Duncan Gay (centre), Clarence MP Chris Gulaptis and Federal Member for Page Kevin Hogan surrounded by the people who will work to complete the Harwood Bridge project by 2019.

International firm successful Harwood Bridge tenderer

Lack of doctors and infrastructure an ongoing concern

Don't have a heart attack on a Friday says Dr Tyson

Latest deals and offers

Grafton City SES Training

Grafton SES unit controller Adam Jarrett explains the process involved in being an...

British family bashed in Thailand

Family beaten and kicked unconscious by gang in Thailand.

Family beaten and kicked unconscious by gang in Thailand.

Ben Hunt wary of Sharks Halfback

Ben Hunt of the Broncos looks to pass during the round 23 NRL match between the Brisbane Broncos and the St George Illawarra Dragons at Suncorp Stadium.

Ben Hunt talks about Cronulla's Chad Townsend.

How a sacked real estate agent made $725k in four months

Agent is now under investigation by the industry watchdog

VIDEO: Art Deco fan pays $835,000 for Imperial Hotel

No Caption

Iconic "Impy" sold at a bargan price to bidder who loves Art Deco.

RBA warns of future apartment oversupply

Toowoomba: Crest Apartments and Burke & Wills, Ruthven Street ( view from Neil Street) Photo Bev Lacey / The Chronicle

RBA says oversupply of apartments poses risk to household finances