A GRAFTON man is one of two people charged with the alleged assault of former NRL star Jason Ferris at Glen Innes.
The Grafton man and a Glen Innes man, both 33, have been charged with recklessly causing grievous bodily harm for allegedly assaulting Mr Ferris inside the New Tattersalls Hotel and again after he left the licensed premise.
No information was available on what sparked the assault, but Glen Innes Detective Dale Keegan said the assault on November 6 was a significant matter.
“This is a serious assault,” Det Keegan said.
“Neither the police nor the community are going to tolerate this sort of behaviour.
“Offenders will be identified and prosecuted immediately.”
The Glen Innes man was arrested the day after the alleged attack and was granted conditional bail to appear at Glen Innes Local Court on December 15.
The Grafton man was charged two days later and was also bailed to appear at Glen Innes Local Court on December 15.
Mr Ferris was taken to Glen Innes and District Hospital and later transferred to the Tamworth Base Hospital. He was to undergo corrective surgery yesterday to repair more than eight facial fractures.
Det Keegan said police had interviewed a number of witnesses and were now seeking help from the community to identify more witnesses and obtain further information.
Ferris recently returned to his home town of Glen Innes after a one-year stint with Gundagai football club. Recently he had been in talks with Grafton’s two rugby league clubs with a view to playing here next year.