WE WANT to know what our readers think of the Macquarie Dictionary's choice of the Word of the Year.
Phantom vibration syndrome, an expression that's grown out of the modern obsession with mobile phones has made it into the language and taken out the gong for 2012 Word of the Year.
The meaning, as it will appear in the dictionary is: noun a syndrome characterised by constant anxiety in relation to one's mobile phone and an obsessional conviction that the phone has vibrated in response to an incoming call when in fact it hasn't.
Other notable words to go into the annual update of the lexicon are:
- Crowdfunding: noun the obtaining of small donations from individuals contacted through social networks, as to fund a project, support a cause, etc.
- Technomite: noun (humorous) a young child who is adept in the use of digital media.
- Marngrook: noun a type of football played by Aboriginal people of south-eastern Australia before European settlement, being characterised by large numbers of players covering a wide area of ground, a ball made from stuffed animal skin, and a style of play which involved dropping the ball onto the foot and kicking it, and leaping high above others to catch it; seen as an influence on Australian Rules. [in various Victorian Aboriginal languages: game ball]
- First World problem: noun a problem that relates to the affluent lifestyle associated with the First World, that would never arise in the poverty-stricken circumstances of the Third World, as having to settle for plunger coffee when one's espresso machine is not functioning.
First World problem also took out the People's Choice Award.
We would like to know what words its readers would like to see on the list and how it rated the choices of the Macquarie Dictionary judges.
These are the category winners:
- Agriculture: peachcot
- Arts: yarn bombing
- Business: silo mentality
- Colloquial: wine flu
- Communications: phantom vibration syndrome
- Eating and Drinking: apera
- Environment: green tape
- Fashion: hobo glove
- General Interest: solidarity tourism
- Health: diabesity
- Internet: crowdfunding
- Politics: Sputnik moment
- Social Interest: First World problem
- Sport: marngrook
- Technology: technomite
Vote for your word of the year in the poll below and tell us why by leaving a comment.