5 TO 1: Guns, politics, skateboards & showtime in the Valley
CHECK in at 5 TO 1 every Monday for your 5-minute fix of the major headlines affecting the Clarence Valley.
It is perfect for those who want a quick snapshot of what's happening in the week ahead as you grab a bite to eat for lunch.
Firstly, let's look at The Daily Examiner's top stories from last week:
- HEARTBREAK: Lower Clarence calls it quits in NRRRL
- Axe-wielding bandit traumatises store workers
- VIDEO: Stunning snake find in South Grafton wrecking yard
- EXPLAINED: How a Grafton company was defrauded $137,000
- Family appeal for support after tragic accident
... AND here is this week's 5 TO 1:
5. 125th Maclean Agricultural Show
THE 125th annual Maclean Agricultural Show kicks off on Tuesday. Another bumper program will ensure there is plenty to see and do for all the family across the two days including horse events in the show ring and a wide variety displays in the pavilions.
The Wednesday night program is one not to be missed. It starts with a bang with whip cracking at 5.30pm before the official opening at 6pm and the announcement of Junior and Senior Showgirl.
Woodchopping and Agility Dogs are both 6.30pm, Rebecca Spears Dance Group at 7pm, Maclean High School Choir at 7.20pm, Youth Farmers Challenge at 7.30pm, Man From Snowy River at 8pm and Fireworks at 8.30pm.
- Chantelle keen to make a difference in Maclean Showgirl
- Big time for the small birds at the Maclean Show
- Orchid Society preparing for annual show
4. 150th Grafton Show
NOT to be outdone by their downriver neighbours, Grafton celebrates the sesquicentenary of its annual show.
The 150th Grafton Show will take place this Friday and Saturday.
This year is also the 50th year of Grafton Showgirl. Our reporter Jarrard Potter has caught up with some of the past winners including a mother and daughter who have both worn the sash. Grab a copy of tomorrow's DEX for the story or check out our website.
- Got any Grafton Show memories to share?
- Showground gets fresh coat of paint for 150th Grafton Show
- Drivers required to smash and crash in demolition derby
3. Clarence Valley Skateboard Championship
SkKATEBOARDING is front and centre in the Clarence Valley all this week. Learn To Skateboard workshops are being held throughout the school hoildays:
- Iluka - Wednesday, 10am-12pm
- Yamba - Wednesday, 2-4pm
- Maclean - Thursday, 10am-12pm
- Wooli - Thursday, 2-4pm
- Copmanhurst - Friday, 10am-12pm
- Coutts Crossing, Friday 2-4pm
The week will culminate with the Clarence Valley Skateboard Championship at Grafton Skatepark between 1pm and 5pm on Saturday, April 16.
Click here to join up.
2. Politics In The Pub
CLARENCE Valley Community Unions have organised a "Politics In The Pub" to be hosted by the Jacaranda Hotel in Grafton this Friday evening at 6pm.
Local politicians have been invited including current Page MP Kevin Hogan, Labor candidate Page Janelle Saffin and Greens candidate Kudra Falla-Ricketts. It will consist of a Q & A format with guest speakers discussing the iimpact on Clarence Valley health services.
1. Guns In The Clarence
THE major story in Tuesday's DEX reveals data released under a NSW Greens freedom of information request on gun ownership, which reveals a surprisingly high figure of registered firearms in the 2460 Grafton post code.