Claims death cap mushrooms caused hospitalisations

DEATH cap mushrooms are being blamed for hospitalising three Canberra residents, prompting an alert from the Australian Capital Territory's chief health officer.

The three are now in a stable condition Calvary Hospital. They told authorities they bought the potentially deadly mushrooms from a Woolworths supermarket on April 17.

In the warning, Dr Paul Kelly said it so far appeared to be an isolated incident.

There have been no other recent reports of death cap mushroom poisoning in the ACT, he said.

The alert also reminded people not to pick and eat wild mushrooms.

"It can be extremely difficult for even experienced collectors to distinguish death cap mushrooms from other edible mushrooms," Dr Kelly said.



PACIFIC HIGHWAY: Changed traffic conditions

PACIFIC HIGHWAY: Changed traffic conditions

Slow lane closures will be in place while the work is carried out

How much rain did Yamba receive last night?

How much rain did Yamba receive last night?

Grafton received almost no rain yesterday

Why Council said no to $116k worth of funding

premium_icon Why Council said no to $116k worth of funding

Council turned down more than $116k saying it had "no other option"

Local Partners