ABC Child Care future still hazy
PARENTS and staff at ABC Grafton North may have to wait until May to find out the future of the ailing centre.
The Arthur Street child-care centre is one of 241 centres, known as the ABC2 Group, operating with Federal Government assistance until the end of this month.
Last week, ABC2 Group's court-appointed receiver Stephen Parbery and Daniel Bryant, of PPB, requested the Australian Government approach the NSW Supreme Court to seek a continuation of their appointment until May 15.
In a media release, a spokesperson said the sale and transfer of the centres was progressing well, with contracts being exchanged for the sale of the first 65 centres to a number of parties. Mr Parbery said he was seeking an extension due to the number and complexity of offers and the fact there were multiple stakeholders involved.
“We are currently assessing offers from more than 180 parties and negotiating with over 100 individual landlords,” he said.
“While we are satisfied with our progress and the quality of the offers, a short extension will provide us with the additional time to better facilitate negotiations between all parties.”
He said there was still strong interest with the remaining parties, but admitted not all centres may be able to stay open.
“While we expect the majority of the 241 to be sold, there is of course a risk that satisfactory operators cannot be identified for all centres,” he said.