Abduction attempt of 10 year-old
POLICE are reinforcing the message of Safe People, Safe Places to North Coast parents following the attempted abduction of a 10 year-old girl at Kingscliff on Sunday.
The girl was approached by a man who attempted to lure her into his car to look at a dog.
The girl became concerned and ran back into her grandmothers unit, reporting the man to her mother.
The girl told police the man was of Middle Eastern/Mediterranean appearance, about 40-years-old, of solid
build, with short, grey hair parted to the side.
She said he was wearing black-framed reading glasses, a thick blue jumper and spoke with an 'Australian'
The car the man was driving has been described as a green Jaguar, or similar, sedan with maps and papers
strewn around the vehicle.
There was damage to the driver's front door and the boot of the vehicle was open but tied down.
Anyone who witnessed the incident or who knows the identity of the man should contact Tweed/Byron Police
or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
Meanwhile, police are urging parents to reinforce the 'Safe People, Safe Places' messages with their children, including the following safety tips:
- Avoid walking on your own and instead walk with other family members, friends or an adult you know;
- Walk near busier roads and streets, or use paths where there are lots of other people;
- Make sure your parents or another adult you know knows where you are at all times;
- Always walk straight home or to the place you are walking to;
- Know where safe places are - a shop, service station, police station, library or school. If you are ever frightened, you should go to one of these places and ask them to call the police;
- Learn about safe adults you can look for and talk to if you need help - police officers, teachers at school, adults you know and trust;
- Don't talk to people you don't know and never get into a car with someone you don't know. If a car stops on the side of the road and you don't know the person inside, do not stop; and
- If you are scared, call Triple Zero (000) and tell them you are scared.