Father attacks kid, bystander, court told

AN enraged Grafton chef allegedly threw an 11-year-old boy head first into a Jacaranda tree and seriously assaulted a nearby resident after he came to another boy's aid on Thursday, according to documents presented during a bail hearing in the Grafton courthouse yesterday.

It is believed 36-year-old Gary Walter Wall was angry after his two primary school-aged children were harassed by their peers at a local school.

He was charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm and common assault.

A police statement of facts said that on Wednesday, Wall watched his children being abused and followed home by a group of kids, and on Thursday after it happened again, decided to act. It is alleged he approached a group of about five children near the Grafton CBD.

Wall reportedly spoke with an 11-year-old child before picking him up with both hands and throwing him head first into a Jacaranda tree.

The child suffered abrasions to the left cheek and fell to the ground.

Wall allegedly yelled "get up c...", then picked him up by his shirt collar and lifted him off the ground.

The court was told he walked back towards the school, forcibly pulling the child along with him. He spoke with the principal and admitted assaulting the child, before leaving.

It is alleged Wall walked back to the intersection and yelled at another 11-year-old boy.

Resident Keith Moore took the boy to his nearby Grafton flat.

Mr Moore then confronted Wall on the footpath, before Wall allegedly shoved Mr Moore to the ground.

It was believed Wall approached Mr Moore, who raised his foot in an attempt to keep Wall away.

Wall allegedly attempted to punch him in the upper body as Mr Moore tried to defend himself by throwing punches into the back of him.

During the scuffle, Mr Moore was allegedly thrown into the base of a power pole, causing his neck and shoulders to hit the pole.

While he lay on the ground Wall is alleged to have grabbed him by the hair with one hand and started throwing punches into his head and face.

Another person obtained a pool cue and attempted to assist Mr Moore.

It is alleged Wall then ceased this assault and pursued the other person.

Mr Moore walked back to his flat and fell on the floor. He had fractures to his left cheek, severe bruising and injuries to his left arm.

He was released from hospital on Thursday night.

Grafton Court registrar Darryl Miller refused bail at a hearing in the Grafton Local Court yesterday. Wall will appear in court in Grafton on Monday.

CRICKET: Clubs handed deadline for joint league choice

premium_icon CRICKET: Clubs handed deadline for joint league choice

CLARENCE clubs have until Monday to offer commitment.

Grafton gallery now open 7 days a week

Grafton gallery now open 7 days a week

Tourism accreditation opens up new opportunities

Something for everyone this weekend

Something for everyone this weekend

Get out and see a live gig

Local Partners