Fire guts home

By TOBY WALKER

AN UNOCCUPIED house in central Grafton was gutted by fire on Tuesday night, but police have ruled out arson as the cause.

Fire had consumed much of the two-bedroom weatherboard home's interior by the time the Grafton and South Grafton fire brigades arrived to the corner of Pound and Alice streets to extinguish the blaze just after 9pm.

It took firefighters about 45 minutes to bring the fire under control.

By that stage much of the home had been destroyed, leaving it with major structural damage.

It is believed the vacant home was owned by the State Rail Authority of New South Wales.

According to police, squatters were believed to have been using the home and it is thought the fire was accidentally started on a foam mattress in one of the home's bedrooms.

No neighbouring properties were damaged by the fire.



Community to give Fredo the send-off he deserves

Community to give Fredo the send-off he deserves

Community gathering to thank a tireless worker.

Hockey club's drive to give blood for Holly

Hockey club's drive to give blood for Holly

Today Kylie's Hockey Club members are donating blood in Coffs

Major change for Lower Clarence highway works

Major change for Lower Clarence highway works

Lane changes and barrier installation part of new works

Local Partners