Home goes up in flames

By Adrian Miller

Two Maclean residents were lucky to escape serious injury on Tuesday night when a shed they were living in caught on fire.

Maclean and Yamba Fire Brigades were called by the couple to the dwelling on Jubilee Street just after 10 pm after it went up in flames.

The Maclean brigade arrived on the scene seven minutes after the call to find the shed, which was constructed of metal and timber, almost fully engulfed in flames.

Yamba Brigade arrived at Jubilee street within 15 minutes of the call.

Maclean Brigade captain Col Bernard said the timber section of the dwelling, which contained the kitchen and living areas, was almost totally destroyed in the fire.

He said the metal section was largely undamaged.

Capt Bernard said the house was down a steep track and hard to access, making the operation more difficult for the brigades.

Captain Bernard said it took the brigades nearly 20 minutes to bring the fire under control, and another half an hour for it to be fully extinguished.

He said a car parked next to the house also caught fire and was severely damaged.

One female occupant in her 30s was taken to Maclean District Hospital with smoke inhalation as a precaution, but was released later that night.

Another male occupant, aged in his 40s, was unharmed.

Capt Bernard said the fire was believed to have been started by a candle or similar flame and was not being treated as suspicious.



FREE STORY: Haters gonna hate, but we still love youse all

FREE STORY: Haters gonna hate, but we still love youse all

THE DEX: taking care of business for almost 160 years

Spirit of the Magpies continues to fire in finals

premium_icon Spirit of the Magpies continues to fire in finals

WRIGHT determined to put pride back into the black and white jersey.

Local Partners