Just to be safe, keep an eye on the ground
By DANIEL MILLER
SOUTH Grafton resident Yvonne Young made a grisly discovery while mowing her lawn this week.
"I stuck my hand into the mower trap to empty it and I pulled out a snake tail," Ms Young said.
The tail belonged to one of six venomous baby brown snakes found near her home. The mother snake was later discovered dead in the paddock next door.
Ms Young said she tried to keep the grass as short as she could to guard against snakes entering her property, especially at this time of year.
A National Parks and Wildlife Services spokesperson said that many of the poisonous snakes in Australia were found in the Clarence Valley.
The female brown snake, which measured more than a metre in length, was most likely attracted to food and shelter offered by houses in South Grafton.
"The longer grass provides protection against predators and makes backyards more attractive," the spokesperson said.
"People can clean up their backyards for anything that attracts them; food should be put in sealed containers."
The spokesperson stressed that adults needed to teach their children to treat all snakes as dangerous.
"Snakes only have two defence mechanisms ? flee and react. If they react they only have their bite," the spokesperson said.
"Over 90 per cent of people bitten by snakes either try to catch the snake or kill it."
Residents are advised that if they are confronted by a snake they should either keep still or retrace their steps.
If bitten, a compression bandage should immediately be fastened to seal off blood flow to the bite area and affected limb before taking the victim directly to hospital.