Kebab stand owner cries foul



A Grafton man has accused the Clarence Valley Council of unfairly targeting his business after he was ordered to cease trading last Friday.

Steve Kopuz moved to Grafton from Sydney last year and decided to begin selling kebabs out of a van on Prince Street last September.

Mr Kopuz' plan was to one day move the business from the van into a suitable commercial space in Grafton's CBD.

But according to Mr Kopuz, his ability to trade has been severely hindered by what he believes is a campaign by council to drive him out of business.

Mr Kopuz claims he has twice been ordered to shut up shop by council employees without warning.

The first incident occurred around 5pm on Jacaranda Friday when he was ordered to close down and advised no explanation could be offered until Monday.

The second incident occurred on the Friday night of the Grafton Show when police, prompted by a number of noise complaints, ordered him to close because he was operating after midnight and outside his council-approved business hours.

Mr Kopuz believes the problem has arisen because of his own error on a form where he incorrectly stated he wanted to operate his van between midnight and midday rather than midday and midnight. He believes this was the reason he was shut down.

Although he is allowed to operate between midnight and midday, Mr Kopuz claims he now struggles to make the business work in the odd hours available to him.

A council spokesperson was advised of Mr Kopuz' claims and said would make an official re- sponse on Tuesday.



RMS to change contract regulations

premium_icon RMS to change contract regulations

Change to management of projects

Council's rate plan ultimatum

premium_icon Council's rate plan ultimatum

Council says pensioner required to pay back $30K

Local Partners