Little critters survive Maclean firen
By SALLY GORDON
THE roaring flames and intense heat of Maclean's boulevarde blaze last Monday were enough to blacken the foliage of a tree across the road.
Amazingly though, a tank of 15 fresh water tropical fish in David Boniface's Laundry Care, survived the ordeal.
Mr Boniface's store was demolished last Friday, but the pets' survival has brought a smile to his face. Staff from T and T Metal and Asbestos Services collected the fish during a pre-demolition clean-up.
Laundry Care suffered major water damage during the fire and it was just in the nick of time that his pet fish, housed in a tank on the southern wall of his shop, were saved.
Anne Gibson, who lost everything when her home above the Little Blue Wren store went up in smoke, was also relieved after learning that all of the family pets were safe.
Two cockatiels, one canary, some budgerigars, a galah and a himalayan persian cat, called Hudson, survived the fire.
Most of the animals were rescued on the day of the fire, with Hudson turning up a few days later in River Street's Coastal Views office.