Pilley?s waiting game
By TONY WHITE
SQUASH Australia Appeals Committee have dismissed an appeal by Yamba squash professional Cameron Pilley against his non-selection in the Commonwealth Games team.
Pilley's appeal was held in Brisbane on Wednesday afternoon.
It was a bitter blow for the world ranked No. 28 player who is currently playing in the Virginia Open Championships in America and was unavailable to attend the Appeal hearing.
Pilley's father Steve contacted Cameron yesterday afternoon at around 3pm local time after the 21-year-old No.6 seed had just won through to the quarter finals of the Virginia Open where he is scheduled to meet No.2 seed, Egyptian, Wael El Hindi today.
"Cameron didn't want to talk about the appeal at all," Steve Pilley said.
"It was late at night, he was tired and in his room with another player.
"I'll be phoning him tomorrow (Friday) to discuss where we go from here.
"We should have a decision by then."
Steve Pilley said he contacted Pilley's solicitor, Yamba-based David Nelmes yesterday after the Appeal Committee's decision and they were considering their options.
"We thought we had a good case but the appeal has been dismissed," Pilley said.
"We are looking at our options, the procedure, if there are any new facts and costs involved.
"There is a bit to consider. Ultimately the decision to take it any further will be Cameron's. We support him in what ever he decides to do."
Pilley is the third Australian player to have Commonwealth Games non-selection appeals dismissed after Cameron White and Melissa Martin's bids were rejected earlier this week.
Following Pilley's failed appeal Squash Australia chief executive officer Norman Fry released the following statement:
"The Squash Australia Appeals Committee met on Wednesday and reviewed the Appeal from Cameron Pilley against his non-selection in the Commonwealth Games Team.
The committee examined the procedures used by the Selection Committee and was satisfied that they were consistent with the regulation and they were followed.
It found no information provided within the appeal to refute this.
Cameron also appealed that certain members of the Selection Committee had a perceived conflict of interest.
This was not proven by information provided in the appeal.
The Appeals Committee considered that the selection decision was both fair and reasonable and could find no basis to refer the selection back to the panel or to overturn it.
Cameron, if he wishes, can now appeal the Appeals Committee decision through the CAS.
He has until 3pm on Saturday, February 4 to advise if he is going to seek such action.
A 40-plus page submission, prepared by Nelmes including player performance and issues at the core of Pilley's grievances, was submitted to the Appeals Committee.
"I don't wish to comment on the committee's decision. Cameron is considering advice if he wants to pursue the matter further," Nelmes said yesterday.