Police fear the worst for missing boy
By SALLY GORDON
THE search for the five-year-old boy missing in the Mann River at Cangai since Monday intensified yesterday, but police now fear the worst after the child was not found.
A team of police divers joined the search for the child at 8.20am yesterday.
Grafton Police Chief Inspector Paul Klievens said officers kept searching until sundown last night, without luck. He said the outlook was grim.
The name of the missing child has not been released.
Chief Insp Klievens said local officers would take their cue from specialist divers as to whether or not they would continue the search today.
Just before 11am on Monday, it is believed the boy lost his balance on the Cangai Bridge, about 1km inland from the Gwydir Highway, and fell into a fast-flowing section of the river.
The boy had been staying in a caravan beside the river, with two adults and five other children. The group was not from the Clarence Valley.
Police said a team of professional divers from Sydney arrived in the Clarence on Monday night, bringing with them specialist diving equipment. The Sydneybased water police aided local officers and SES personnel in the search.
A net had been installed across the river, about 150m downstream from the Cangai Bridge.
"We put a net across the river last night (Monday) and we're searching from the bridge down to that net at this stage," Chief Insp Klievens said.
The banks of the Mann River, where the search was being conducted, are shrouded in dense weeds, trees and rocks.
It is believed the boy's family was still in the Clarence yesterday afternoon.
Police have declined to say where the group was from until a key family member had been notified of the in- cident.