South Grafton home damaged in blaze

By EMMA CORNFORD

FIRE crews were called to South Grafton yesterday morning to control a house fire at Bellview Street.

South Grafton fire captain Dennis Pye said the fire had started in the ceiling of the home, above the laundry.

"It looked as though there was a short circuit that caught on fire in the ceiling there and then it extended to the ceiling above the kitchen area," he said.

"The residents in the house noticed the smoke early and called the fire brigade, so we got there quickly."

Crews from Grafton and South Grafton had to remove the tin roof of the building to extinguish the flames.

"It wasn't flaming it was smouldering, but because we had to do all that it took around one hour and three quarters to fully put it out," Capt Pye said.

No-one was injured in the blaze.



NEED FOR SPEED: Could a major shift be coming to the Rebels?

premium_icon NEED FOR SPEED: Could a major shift be coming to the Rebels?

SOUTH Grafton club linked with bush footy 'Supercoach'.

Community support helps Tigers lift up life member

premium_icon Community support helps Tigers lift up life member

TRIVIA night blows fundraising expectations out of the water.

Dancers take a leap into the HSC early

premium_icon Dancers take a leap into the HSC early

For two South Grafton High students, their HSC will begin next week

Local Partners