Stace family awaits finding of inquest
By SALLY GORDON
THE mother of murdered Brooms Head teen Lee Ellen Stace said the family was waiting for the results of an inquest before getting any hopes up on new information on the case.
Robyn Stace's comment follows a story in a weekend newspaper that reported one of the key suspects in Lee Ellen's murder almost a decade ago is a former Clarence Valley man who is now in jail.
The suspect is said to have been identified as 'Stace's most likely killer' in a police brief sent to the NSW Coroner's office last week.
Mrs Stace said she and her husband, Peter, were aware the police brief had been sent to the coroner.
From her home in Brooms Head, Mrs Stace said yesterday the identification of a suspect 'was a bit of a shock'.
"We kind of knew he was a suspect, but there was a lot of other people as well," she said. "We'll have to wait until the inquest, I think, and see what the ruling is before we get our hopes up."
The police brief was said to be the results of 'a six-year investigation' into the murder case by Grafton detective Tony King.
Det King yesterday refused to comment on the article or whether he had identified someone in his report as a key suspect.
Lee Ellen went missing from Bi Lo at Yamba Fair Shopping on September 2, 1997 around 2.15pm. It is believed the 16-year-old had hitched a ride home to Brooms Head.