By SALLY GORDON
A PRINCE Street business owner fears the McConaghy Group's new proposal for Grafton's Shoppingworld extension may be the deathknell for some traders.
A revised development plan for Shoppingworld that includes a pedestrian arcade linking Prince Street and the proposed shopping mall, were submitted to the Clarence Valley Council last Friday.
A number of business owners along Prince Street only saw the reworked design for the first time yesterday. A few traders were reluctant to publicly assess the new plans. The Prince Street Traders' Group last year rejected McConaghy's Shoppingworld proposal.
Clothes Pegg owner Pegg Mavin said she was unsure of what the future held for her business, believing the new pedestrian link could cut through the Clothes Pegg and her other outlet the Rack Shack.
Mrs Mavin said re-locating her business was not an option.
She said an earlier search of available retail space had turned up nothing for her.
"People will say yes it's great for Grafton but it's not for the human-being that's been here for 20 years trying to make a living out of it," Mrs Mavin said.
"It would be heartbreaking if I had to say goodbye to Grafton."
It is understood the link may also intrude on Grafton's Pink Petal Florist.
Trevor Ellem, from Buckleys Grafton Music, said he had no objection to the Shoppingworld extension as long as there was adequate linkage to Prince Street.
"Just by looking at it now, it still doesn't look like there is adequate linkage," Mr Ellem said.
Mr Ellem envisaged a fully enclosed-walkway link that would make customers feel like they were still inside the shopping centre.
"In Port Macquarie you walk straight in off the main street and you're basically into the shopping centre. This one here still looks as though there will be an uncovered walkway through an alley way."