The Tigers pushed the Wolves all the way, but came away empty-handed. Photo: SIMON HUGHES.
The Tigers pushed the Wolves all the way, but came away empty-handed. Photo: SIMON HUGHES.

Wolves outlast Tigers

North Coast Football

THE Crown Hotel Westlawn Tigers started strongly in their match against the Woolgoolga Wolves in Round 8 of the North Coast Football Premier League competition.

It was an exciting game to watch with several goals scored and some brilliant attacking moves from both sides to keep the crowd enthralled.

Within the first minute, an attacking run from James Connor up the right got the ball to Jamie Pitkin who crossed it to Peter Fysh waiting in the goal mouth and made no mistake for an early 1-0 lead to the Tigers.

The scoreline held until the 40th minute when a Wolves counter attack found enough space to chip the ball over the keeper and level the scores at 1-1.

In the first half injury time, the Wolves capitalised on a goal kicking error from the Tigers to go 2-1 up at the break.

Fifteen minutes into the second half the Wolves struck again through a line break to go up 3-1.

However, the Tigers were not done and James Connor cleaned up a loose ball in the box to make it one goal difference at 3-2 in favour of the Wolves.

The Wolves had the opportunity to go two goals clear soon after with a penalty but sent the ball well over the crossbar.

The Tigers never gave up and had several more good attacking plays but were unable to snare the equaliser.

Tigers coach Terry Wratten said the Tigers again played great football without much luck, however, he was happy with their never-say-die attitude against a quality top four side like Woolgoolga.

He was pleased with their improved goal-scoring ability with two goals from field play.

James Conner was dangerous for the Tigers up front in his first run on appearance this season, pairing up well with Peter Fysh.

Jamie Pitkin, Matt Dougherty and Daniel Purser all had good games in the midfield.

Earlier in the Reserves, the Crown Tigers Reserves had to fight again for a share of the points with a tough draw against a much improved Wolves reserves team.

The Wolves made the most of their opportunities with their goals coming from Tigers defensive errors.

The Wolves first goal came from a poor Tigers back pass early in the game which was punished to full effect.

The Tigers reserves squared the ledger with a ball across a crowded box to find Luke Bickerton in space on the left and he calmly slipped it past the keeper to put the half time score at 1-1.

Another defensive passing error from the Tigers early in the second half was again punished by the ever alert Wolves attack with another one in the net for the visitors to go up 2-1.

The Tigers again levelled the scores, after some concerted efforts, through a Reggie Burley ball across goal which Chris Geary passed back to Harley Fennessy who drilled it across the ground and into the net.

The Tigers had the opportunity to take the lead soon after with a penalty opportunity but it was brilliantly saved by the Wolves keeper.

As usual for the Tigers Reserves, it was an entertaining game to watch with both sides showing flair in attack.

VIDEO: Narrow escape for motorists

premium_icon VIDEO: Narrow escape for motorists

WATCH: Traffic chaos as emergency services rush to clear road

Pop go the prizes for Grafton Base Hospital fund raiser

Pop go the prizes for Grafton Base Hospital fund raiser

Don't miss a chance to win big for a good cause.

Donation of $1460 just the start for school's drought help

Donation of $1460 just the start for school's drought help

A Clarence Valley school has dug incredibly deep to help farmers.

Local Partners