Menu
News

List of butane cookers banned after casino death

The caravan at Glen Villa Resort, Casino, where a man was seriously injured in gas explosion.
The caravan at Glen Villa Resort, Casino, where a man was seriously injured in gas explosion. Contributed

UPDATE FRIDAY: IN response to reader inquiries we have included an image of a butane cooker and the list of all the models banned by the Department of Fair Trading NSW.

MORE: Traveller back to barbie basics after his burners banned

To find out more, visit the Fair Trading website.

 

A list of models suspended from sale according to the Fair Trading NSW website
A list of models suspended from sale according to the Fair Trading NSW website Fair Trading NSW

 

 

ORIGINAL REPORT: JUST weeks after a Casino man died from burns to 100% of his body when a gas cooker exploded the Department of Fair Trading has banned the sale of butane cookers in NSW.

About 11.20am on Monday February 2, a 220 gram butane cylinder exploded ripping through a caravan and annexe at Casino's Glen Villa Resort.

After being airlifted to Royal Brisbane Hospital's burns unit, that night the decision was made to turn off 33-year-old Nathan Kliendienst's life support.

The caravan at Glen Villa Resort, Casino, where a man was seriously injured in gas explosion.
The caravan at Glen Villa Resort, Casino, where a man was seriously injured in gas explosion. Contributed

Now NSW Fair Trading Commissioner Rod Stowe is warning consumers about portable butane 'lunchbox' type cookers due to safety issues, including overheating.

"Compliance certification for all current models of 'lunchbox' type gas cookers has been suspended by the independent safety certifiers and cookers of this type can no longer be sold lawfully in NSW," he said.

"Up to 31 models of butane gas cookers have been withdrawn from sale as they do not meet Australian Standards.

"Retailers in NSW should no longer be stocking or selling these products."

Mr Stowe said consumers who have purchased cookers should refrain from using them.

"If these products malfunction they can potentially cause serious injuries and I'd encourage people to stop using them," he said.

"Fair Trading is continuing to work with retailers, manufacturers and other states to ensure products are removed from shelves.

"I'd encourage consumers to notify NSW Fair Trading if they see any devices of this type being sold within stores."

Topics:  department of fair trading



GOING FOR GOLD: Yamba's Sullohern earns second Games berth

GAMES BOUND: Celia Sullohern (right) powers to the finish line to win the 5000 metres at the Australian Athletics Championships at Carrara Stadium on the Gold Coast. Sullohern will compete at the same venue in the Commonwealth Games in April.

Powerful win begs the question: How fast can she go?

Raising money for the roof at Lawrence

DONOR PLEA: Vice-president of Lawrence Museum, Roz Jones, looks up from the mezzanine level of the new building, which needs a roof .

Museum needs help to finish building

CRCA CRICKET: Young guns strike in Coutts win

Coutts Declan Ensby celebrates getting Justin Rainbow caught behind at Ellem Oval

Fast bowlers get the job done against Souths

Local Partners