Bathroom attacker ‘blind drunk’

A BALLINA man who attacked a tourist at a Coffs Harbour hotel and left her unconscious in a storage cupboard could be out of jail by February.

Jeremy Kym Waters told police he was "f***en blind drunk" the morning he wrapped a towel around 22-year-old Alisa Lin's head and attempted to strangle her in the bathroom of the Plantation Hotel.

Ms Lin and three friends had been working on blueberry farms at Halfway Ck when they checked into the hotel in November last year.

Ms Lin cooked dinner, had a shower and went to bed, but in the bar downstairs Waters's night was just beginning.

The NSW District Court heard Waters was drinking with friends until 2.30am before he went upstairs and continued to drink in his room.

At about 6am, dressed in her pyjamas and slippers, Ms Lin used a toilet in the female bathroom and walked towards the basin.

The court heard that before she was able to turn on the tap, the door opened and a towel was wrapped around her head from behind, covering her eyes.

She told police she struggled with her attacker and tried to scream as he held the towel over her face and mouth and tried to choke her with his hand.

She said she fell down and struggled for a "long time" before fainting. Her next recollection was waking up on a storeroom floor with a mop by her head.

Police reviewed CCTV footage and saw Waters dragging someone down the hall shortly after 6.30am.

Blood on the shower matched Ms Lin's DNA.

She was treated in hospital for bruising.

Police arrested Waters at his Ballina work site. He told police he had stayed at the hotel but couldn't remember any Asian backpackers and wasn't "that drunk" he wouldn't recall assaulting a woman.

After being told police would search his mother's home for a Von Zipper shirt they believed to be evidence, Waters said he had burned it. Asked why he had done that, Waters said: "I don't know - I was f****en blind drunk…It was a big night…I didn't want the shirt anymore."

The shirt was later found at a home at South Grafton.

Waters was charged with taking a person to obtain advantage and remained in custody until his court date this week.

He was given a head sentence of three years and six months, backdated to his arrest in November 2012, with a non-parole period of 15 months.

Father jailed over crash that killed son

premium_icon Father jailed over crash that killed son

Father was drink-driving at the time of accident.

TIED UP: Trawlers and Vikings can't be separated

premium_icon TIED UP: Trawlers and Vikings can't be separated

Yamba takes confidence against Sunshine Conference minor premiers

Country music everyday this week for our farmers

Country music everyday this week for our farmers

If you love country music and our farmers this fundraiser is for you

Local Partners