Cross sticks: Royals Irish player Dave Morrison (left) takes on a Royals Nevilles opponent.
Cross sticks: Royals Irish player Dave Morrison (left) takes on a Royals Nevilles opponent. Debrah Novak

Bears in 7-1 shock defeat

CITY Bears came back to earth with a thud on Sunday at the Coffs Harbour Synthetic Field, losing 7-1 to a ruthless Southside.

Southside manager Wayne Edwards was ecstatic after the match in what he described as his side’s best performance of the season.

“This is the largest win Southside has had over Bears since we joined the Grafton competition six years ago,” he said.

Southside fielded a full-strength team for the first time this season and sent out an ominous warning to their opposition.

Led by key strikers Dean Herbert and Reece Edwards, the Coffs side came out of the blocks firing and skipped to a 3-0 lead after only 15 minutes.

A shell-shocked Bears outfit never really recovered and were out-gunned in all departments by a Southside team which showed little mercy to their younger opponents.

Edwards said his side were running hot on the day but praised the opposition for not throwing in the towel.

“We scored two quick goals after half time and looked to be heading for a big win but to their credit the Bears showed their usual fighting spirit,” he said.

“Our win was set up by Luke Judson in goal, who had a tremendous game. And with Tim Anderson and Heath Edwards dominating the inners, there was plenty of ball for our hungry strikers.”

Edwards added the only disappointment was his side failed to go for the kill and instead backed off and coasted to the full-time siren.

Mitch Lollback was the lone goal scorer for the visitors, with Southside’s Reece Edwards and Dean Edwards both picking up a double.

• Barbarians continued on their winning way, defeating a gallant Royals side 2-1. With several A-grade players unavailable Barbarians had to rely on their B-grade players to fill in.

“We only had seven A-grade players for the game and had to call up five B-graders,” Barbarians coach Peter Ryder said.

“We played with a four-man forward line with Josh Wainwright playing in an unfamiliar role as left half.”

Royals threw everything at Barbarians in the first 20 minutes but came up empty handed as the Barbs defence held firm.

A sickening head clash between Royals’ Peter Kelly and Barbarians’ Troy Urquhart resulted in an early end to the first half, with Urquhart spending the night in hospital.

Royals maintained the pressure in the second half, receiving nine short corners but failed to capitalise. Barbarians’ goalkeeper Aiden Banks, who replaced Grafton’s number one goalie Ryan Creed at the start of the season, produced a near-flawless display, keeping the Royals’ strikers at bay.

Royals coach John Taylor admitted his side should have gone close to winning the match but inconsistency proved a critical factor.

“We just need to get our game in order and play with more consistency. We had at least six penalty corners but failed to put the ball in the back of the net,” Taylor said.

“We should have won the game, but there were too many lost opportunities.”

Taylor singled out Nick Inmon and goalkeeper Aiden Banks as Barbarians’ best players on the day for their defensive efforts at the back.

“Nick was solid at the back and their goalkeeper (Banks) pulled off some great saves.” For Royals, Mitchell Thomas was a standout and James Filewood had his best game of the season.


Next week

City Bears v Royals 3.30pm Sunday

Sailors v Southside 4.45pm Sunday

Bye: Barbarians

Hogan to run for Page again

Hogan to run for Page again

Sitting member endorsed for Nationals

Plugged in to the Clarence community

premium_icon Plugged in to the Clarence community

Sparkies right on time for poll

Lawrence shows its true colours

premium_icon Lawrence shows its true colours

Weather can't stop flower show being a hit

Local Partners