Bright lights, big charity
IT’S more than just bright lights, fake snow and a seven metre tall reindeer at 43 Turf Street.
Angela Clark’s famous Christmas light display has raised more than $25,000 for the Westmead Children’s Hospital in its 13 years of existence and the effort is about to be recognised by the hospital, with Angela being granted ‘major sponsor’ status.
Her home attracts thousands of drive-by and walk-in visitors during the Christmas season and the display is consistently one of the top displays in the area.
The mercurial driving instructor takes advantage of the gathering masses by selling Christmas trinkets and placing collection boxes at her display.
This year she is even offering $2 train rides to take kids, big and small, around her giant inflatable reindeer – train riders may even ‘get snowed upon’ if they’re good enough.
“I buy one crazy thing for the display each year. This year it was the giant reindeer,” said Angela, whose husband Jim helps with the display whenever he can.
“I have lots of kind people that help me,” she said.
Asked why she put so much effort into her lights, Angela said simply: “Sheer stupidity.”
“I always thought it would be fun to go mad with a few lights and after the first year someone suggested a donation box.”
Since then, the display has raised more than $1000 each year for Westmead Children’s Hospital and last year the display raised $4000.
Angela said she had no idea how much her display had cost her over the years but she would often line up for Boxing Day sales and eBay bargains.Christmas Lights
NOMINATED light displays:
1. Annette and Barry Lamont – 27 Martin Cres, Junction Hill.
2. Trevor Bailey and Barbara Paul – 18 Edward Ogilvie Dr, Clarenza (Merton Mews).
3. Gregg Maxted – 6 Weiley Ave, Grafton.
4. Kate Austin – nominating Eggins St, Grafton.
5. Stephen Powell – 566 Summerland Way, Grafton.
6. Reg and Juel Laurie – 10 Challinor St, Grafton.
7. Malcolm McAnally – 11 Gleneagle Rd, Waterview Heights.
8. Ian Firman – 10 Ford St, Grafton.
9. Beaun West – 92 Cambridge St, South Grafton.
10. Tony and Jone Gillet – 14 Bessie St, South Grafton.
11. Pepper Family – 5 Challinor St, Grafton.
12. Angela Clark – 43 Turf St, Grafton.
13. Craig Hyde – 19 Grevilla Dr, Waterview Heights.
14. Leanne Jarvis – 399 Bent St, South Grafton.
15. Philps Family – 4 Appleby St, Grafton.
16. Jax Fischer – 222 Bacon St, Grafton.
17. Norman and Janet Gray – 7 Scwhonberg St, Maclean Townsend.
18. Oliver Crispin – 181 Villiers Street, Grafton.
All prizes in the Christmas Lights competition are donated by Grafton Shoppingworld.