Butcher delivers Klassics win
A HAT-TRICK to Wendy Butcher handed Kylies Klassics a thrilling extra-time win over Grafton High Teals in the AR1 preliminary final at the weekend.
The Klassics will take on Demons Reds in the grand final on Saturday after fighting back from a 2-1 half-time deficit to win 3-2 in extra-time.
Teals led 2-0 at the break after goals to Grace McDonald and Tayla Lambeth but the Teals could not maintain their dominance in the second stanza.
Butcher closed the gap to 2-1 midway through the half when she latched onto a pass into the circle.
With five minutes remaining Butcher scored from a corner to level the scores and send the match into extra time.
Both teams had opportunities in extra time but with just two minutes remaining, Sandi Martin worked the ball out of her defensive circle, passed to Renae Green who sprinted up field before firing the ball to Butcher who scored.
Grafton High Cruzers scored against the run of play to beat Demon Scotts 1-0 and seal their place in the AR2 grand final.
With Brenda Forrest and Aleisha Third starring, Scotts matched Cruzers early but a Samantha Woolridge pass gave Sarah Donnelly a shot at goal and she didn't disappoint, guiding the ball past the keeper to give Cruzers the advantage.
Cruzers will meet Kylies Kaos in the premiership decider.
Earlier, McAuley Gold downed Kylies Kosmics 3-0 to seal their place in the grand final against Kylies Kasuals.
Philippa Whelan opened the scoring for McAuley after some good teamwork.
Ashley Warby extended the lead to 2-0 with a goal in the second half and a second goal to Whelan just before full-time sealed the win.
In B-grade, McAuley Green will take on Demons Tartans after defeating Kylies Krushers 1-0 in the preliminary final.
Ashlea Forrest scored the only goal, converting from a corner late in the first half.
In C-grade, McAuley Magic downed an understrength Grafton High Jetz 3-0 to seal their place in the grand final. McAuley will face Mixtures in the decider.
- THE GWHA holds a players' draw each year and this year the prizes are $200 vouchers for a Gold Coast theme park. Last Saturday Maddison Vaughan was the winner of the Under-9s draw and Darcey Griffith won the Under-12s draw.
- CLUBS are asked to nominate players who wish to be considered for 2013 rep teams. Nomination forms are due Saturday.
The Under-18 representative team is always selected early and it would be fabulous to have the coach and manager organised before the start of next year's season. If you wish to nominate, send in your form to GWHA.
- TICKETS for presentation night at the South Club must be purchased by Monday. All trophies will be presented at this event and it shall be a great finale to our season.
- TURF booking forms for 2013 should be handed to Bruce Carle or left in the GHA pigeon hole at the hockey pavilion by the end of grand final day.
- GRAND final day is always a massive day. Gates will open at 10am. People wishing to bring lounges need to deliver them to the ground on Friday. You will need to bring down your own chairs or blankets. To ensure a fair view for all, leave space at the front of the hill for the blankets and start the chairs from halfway up. No alcohol is to be brought to the grounds and GHA has employed security to ensure a great day for all.