Caravan court tug-of-war rolls on
CAMPERS and caravan park owners will have to wait and see how a contentious court battle turns out.
For years, Kershaw Gardens has attracted travellers but also provoked the ire of some caravan park owners who complain of losing business.
Caravan Parks Queensland has claimed the camping area was set up in breach of Rockhampton Regional Council's planning scheme.
The association this week told the Planning and Environment Court the area had been improperly used since 2014.
On Tuesday, the association's barrister, Mitchel Batty, at one point compared aspects of the situation to building "a full scale motel" in the middle of Kershaw Gardens.
"This is not a case where the association is trying to be difficult," Mr Batty added.
"We first wrote to the council about this issue on the 10th of July 2014... our complaints about this use are not new."
Council barrister Nicholas Loos said the motel comparison was an "absurd" and extreme example.
The case has also divided opinion among town planners.
Gregory Overden previously said overnight parking of self-contained vehicles for up to 48 hours was a "reasonable expectation" for Kershaw Gardens.
But another town planner, Steven Reynolds, said he had "never experienced such a use being carried out in a regional centre such as this".
The court on Tuesday heard discussion about how to define "passive recreation" in Kershaw Gardens, and the interplay between recreation, parking and barbecue use at the park.
The association went to court last December, asking the council and State Government to cease all operations at the Moores Creek Rd site.
Judge Michael Williamson reserved his decision.
He gave the association until 4pm next Tuesday and the council until 4pm on October 23 to file any further submissions.