Cop chases man over mountain, through river

AN enthusiastic new police recruit chased a suspect over a mountain and through a river after he tried to escape police at Tabulam yesterday.

Officers went to Jubullum Village yesterday morning while investigating a serious home invasion at Casino, Richmond Local Area Command has reported on its Facebook page.

In the home invasion, last weekend, a 93-year-old woman was woken about 11.40pm to find three men in her bedroom forcibly removing a safe from her cupboard.

Investigations into the home invasion led police to Jubullum, where they surrounded a home yesterday morning.

The Local Area Command says a 19-year-old man tried to escape police by jumping out a bedroom window and running into the bush.

The new officer, who has done marathon training and who the LAC described as "a 5ft 11'' running machine" took off after the man.

"She ran through the bush, around a mountain, up the mountain, down again, then through a river," the LAC says on its Facebook page.

"The marathon training had paid off, she caught up to him, crash tackling him to the ground. He was placed under arrest and the soaking handcuffs put on his wrists."

The man was charged with aggravated break and enter. He was also charged with police pursuit for another chase alleged to have happened on February 1 and with car theft over an incident in November.

The man was refused bail and is expected to appear at Lismore Local Court today.

"So watch out for our secret weapon," the LAC says. "She's tall, she's fast and she gets fired up if you don't do what she says."

Topics:  police police chase

Rubbish truck's load catches alight

A J.R. Richards and Sons rubbish truck container caught alight on the Pacific Highway.

Fire in skip bin causes traffic hold ups

South Grafton duxes awarded the honour 80 years apart meet

NOW AND THEN: Mary Austen and Molly Dungey who were both Dux of their years.

Two South Grafton Primary School Duxes meet, 80 years apart

UPDATE: Students, teachers held in school lockdown

Police were called to the high school after it was forced into lockdown.

School in lockdown due to altercation on premises

Local Partners