A ONE-DAY, state-wide traffic blitz will see police target dangerous driver behaviours in and around school zones.
The first 'Operation Compliance' for 2015, commenced at 12.01am today (Wednesday February 11, 2015), and focuses on motorists driving using mobile phones, exceeding the speed limit in school zones, and children's crossing offences.
Assistant Commissioner John Hartley, Traffic and Highway Patrol Commander, said all available resources will be deployed across the state to focus on what are the greatest risks to our most valuable assets, our children.
"Each day during the week, our children, their parents, siblings, teachers and other staff go to and from school expecting a safe journey. Sadly, this has not been the case as we have seen last year.
"To have some road users using a mobile phone, speeding through a school zone and infringing upon school crossings, places all those around schools at great risk.
"Police aim to focus on this today, for the benefit of changing driver behaviour," he said.
"Those using mobile phones aren't focused on driving, their concentrating on the conversation which invariably leads to other offences.
"Drivers need to pay extra attention in school zones, and in particular take advantage of the flashing lights to remain alert - which operate from 8am to 9.30am and again between 2.30pm and 4pm Monday to Friday.
"Police conduct 'Operation Compliance' amongst other initiatives throughout the year, enforcing road safety for the benefit of all road users," he said.
In 2014, police issued 14,088 infringements for incidents involving using a mobile phone, speeding and pedestrian crossing offences in school zones.