Sir David Attenborough said it was heartbreaking to see a bird die after eating plastic. Picture: Picture: Sky News/Sky Ocean Rescue
Sir David Attenborough said it was heartbreaking to see a bird die after eating plastic. Picture: Picture: Sky News/Sky Ocean Rescue

The brutal scene too much for Attenborough

SIR David Attenborough has spent his lifetime documenting nature as well as the impact humans have had on it.

But there was one scene the renowned conservationist and broadcaster simply couldn't handle.

The 91-year-old was left heartbroken during filming for his latest documentary series Blue Planet II after seeing a young albatross lying dead by its mother after choking on a plastic toothpick.

The presenter said the birds usually eat seafood including squid as part of its natural diet and was shocked to see the mother feed its young, something he didn't expect to see.

 

"What comes out of the mouth of the adult?," he said. "Not sand eels and not fish and not squid which is what they mostly eat, but plastic.

"It's heartbreaking ... heartbreaking."

The conservationist said its mother obviously mistook the plastic for food and said the product got into out seas and was strangling animals, Sky News reported.

Writing in a Radio Times column, Attenborough highlighted the eight million tonnes of plastic being dumped into the sea every year and called for action to save the future of humanity.

"Surely we have a responsibility to care for the planet on which we live? The future of humanity, and indeed of all life on Earth, now depends on us doing so," he said.

"Plastic is now found everywhere in the ocean, from its surface to its greatest depths."



'THIS STOPS NOW': Ulmarra has had enough with rogue truckies

'THIS STOPS NOW': Ulmarra has had enough with rogue truckies

NSW police will stop the rogue truck drivers

Godot and friends takes audiences on ride of their life

Godot and friends takes audiences on ride of their life

REVIEW: One of the best theatre experiences you will have this year

HEALTH ALERT: NSW Health issues warning over excessive smoke

HEALTH ALERT: NSW Health issues warning over excessive smoke

Smoke covers Clarence Valley, causing a potential health risk

Local Partners