A CLARENCE Valley doctor has joined a growing chorus of people concerned about "dirty electricity".
Iulka-based GP Dr David Richards said he wanted to warn people working and living around high levels of electromagnetic radiation that they could be putting their health at risk.
For the past couple of years Dr Richards has been researching dirty electricity, which is emitted from items such as computers, mobile phones, televisions, clock radios and dimmer switches.
On Friday, Dr Richards visited The Daily Examiner's Yamba office to measure the level of dirty electricity being emitted - we were lucky, levels were low.
But Dr Richards was not so lucky when he tested his own home recently.
Using a Graham-Stetzer micro surge metre - which measures transient radio frequency - Dr Richards found dangerously high levels of dirty electricity in his bedroom, courtesy of a meter box located outside.
He is so concerned, he and his wife are shifting into another bedroom.
Dr Richards said about 4% of the population had electromagnetic hypersensitivity, a condition causing headaches, dizziness, fatigue and other symptoms.
He said what was more concerning, though, was that many experts believe dirty electricity can lead to cancer and childhood leukemia.
A longer version of this story will appear in Friday's edition of Coastal Views.