Facebook anger at NPWS plan to change park use
A FACEBOOK page alerting the Clarence Valley to a proposal to remove residents from the Sandon camping grounds has gone viral.
Called Save the Sandon, the page was created on Sunday night and has already attracted more than 1000 likes and been shared nearly 300 times.
The proposed changes affect residents on the northern side of the river, which includes the camping ground. There are up to 15 buildings in the area which is part of the Yuraygir National Park.
The leading post on the Facebook page said the National Parks and Wildlife Service (NPWS) advised occupants by letter of a meeting, which occurred in the grounds of the camping ground earlier this month.
It said the NPWS plans to change all aspects of the use of the park for both the occupiers of the houses as well as for the camping grounds.
“As occupiers of the beach houses at Sandon River, we’ve been advised of NPWS’s intention to make sweeping changes to this camping ground,” it said.
“We can’t stand by and watch as NPWS transition this ground to hard-roofed accommodation.”
Comments on the page are almost entirely in favour of retaining the current arrangements, with many fearing proposed changes will result in a Woody Heads-type set up.
Here’s a selection of comments:
“Leave Sandon alone!!! Even the changes that have occurred over the years since we camped with our kids when they were little, have ruined the place in our minds,” said Vicky Sturt.
“It's a hidden paradise it would be a shame to see it go we have been going there for over 42 years my husband longer,” said Maryanne McConnell.
“It's happening at Woody Hd too! I even watched them use an edge trimmer and blower the other week... looks like a caravan park now,” said Dennis Blake.
The only public information on the future of the camping ground is an alert that construction of new toilets and improvements to the grounds will cause disruptions for park users from March to June this year.