UPDATE: Firies urge to switch off after pet killed in fire
UPDATE 4.30PM: TURN off your TV, unplug your electricals and switch off power points, are the warnings firefighters are giving after a house fire in Wondunna over the weekend.
Fire crews were called about 8.30pm on Monday night after the family returned from a weekend away to find the home filled with smoke and walls blackened.
A search of the home found a fire had broken out in the television, which had been left on stand-by.
But, the blaze had soon put itself out due to lack of oxygen as the house was completely shut.
The family's cat was unable to make it outside and died from smoke inhalation.
Torquay Fire Station officer Jason McCloskey said the fire was not suspicious.
He urged people who were going away to take some simple precautions.
"A lot of the time the fires are caused from electrical appliances left on," he said.
Mr McCloskey said to help reduce the risk of fire, if people are going away, they should turn off and unplug all electrical appliances.
He said this included televisions, toasters and DVD players.
Mobile phone chargers are also potential house fire starters, warned McCloskey.
"It's happening more and more as more people are using chargers for their mobiles," he said.
Mr McCloskey said chargers often warmed up if left on too long.
"Make sure they are correct and have the approvals stamped on the side," he said.
Those using chargers are also urged not to leave items charging overnight in order to avoid them heating up too much.
EARLIER: A FAMILY is distraught after returning home to find their house severely damaged by smoke and their pet cat dead.
Crews arrived at the smoke damaged home about 8.25pm on Monday after the family returned from a weekend away.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services Station Officer Neil Lesmond said 99% of the home was black and severely damaged by smoke.
The fire is believed to have started on Sunday night from the television in the lounge room.
It took crews an hour to find the remains of the cat in one of the bedrooms.
Due to the place being locked up, Mr Lesmond said the fire ran out of oxygen and extinguished itself leaving nothing but a black and dirty home.
Fly screens were damaged where it is believed the cat tried to escape.
A family member went to the home to feed the animals on the Saturday.