Fatal crash first in Clarence for 2015, already one too many
THURSDAY'S fatal crash at Coutts Crossing was the first on Clarence Valley roads this year, but police agree it was still one too many.
Last year, there were four fatal crashes in the Clarence Valley local government area, resulting in the deaths of five people.
In 2013, 11 fatal crashes were recorded in the Coffs/Clarence region command.
Grafton Highway Patrol supervisor Sergeant Jarrod French said an increased highway patrol presence and road improvements on the Pacific Hwy may have contributed to a decrease in fatal incidents in the region this year, but reminded people to be vigilant whenever they got behind the wheel.
"We want people to think of the four main things: speed, drink/drug driving, fatigue and seatbelts. Fatigue is a big one and very hard to police so it comes back to responsibility," he said.
Sgt French said during Operation Saturation, which runs until September 28, there would be an increased highway patrol presence in the Clarence Valley in an attempt to curb the death toll.
Clarence Valley Mayor Richie Williamson also wished to reinforce "the messages we hear all the time."
"I would like to pass on my condolences to the family," he said.
"Obviously this is a very tragic and sad time for the family of that young man who lost his life.
"You can't replace what was lost on Thursday morning."
The crash victim is still yet to be formally identified.
The NSW road toll this year is 229.