Firefighters save home from bushfire north of Grafton
FIREFIGHTERS have saved a home from a bush and grass fire at Gurranang, about 30km north of Grafton.
Clarence Valley district manager Superindendent Stuart Watts said the Rural Fire Service received a call about 5pm on Tuesday advising of a fire at Kahn Rd.
"The local brigade responded and on arrival found that the fire was threatening property," he said.
"Additional resources were sent to the area... the landholder was doing a fantastic job and was able to assist the RFS to save the home, but unfortunately a number of disused outbuildings were destroyed."
He said there were five fires burning within the Clarence Valley district yesterday, with fires at Kahn Rd and Jackie Bulbin Station contained.
"The other three... are very remote fires and pose no threat to life or property," Mr Watts said.
The latest fire updates can be found online at http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au.
Meanwhile RFS fire stations across the Clarence Valley will open their doors on Saturday for the annual open day.
This year's event marks the start of Bushfire Awareness Week, which aims to raise awareness of the risks of bush fires and the best ways to protect lives and properties from fire.
"The NSW RFS Open Day is a fun and interesting day out for families and for the volunteers, who enjoy opening up their station and showing the local community what they do," Mr Watts said.
"For children and adults alike it's also a chance to learn valuable skills on how to protect against bush and grass fires."
THE following NSW RFS stations in the Clarence Valley will welcome visitors this Saturday, September 28:
- Gulmarrad Brigade, 341 Brooms Head Rd, Gulmarrad, 9am-1pm
- Lanitza Kungala Brigade, Curlew Dr, Lanitza, 10am-2pm
- Iluka Brigade, 77 Charles St, Iluka, 9am-3pm
- Wooloweyah Brigade, Lakes Bvd, Wooloweyah, 10am-1pm
- Trenayr Brigade, 119 Red Ln, Trenayr, 10am-2pm
- Braunstone Brigade, Braunstone Rd, Braunstone, 7am-2pm
- Southampton Brigade, Eatonsville Rd, Southampton, 9am-2pm
- Clarence Valley at Grafton Shoppingworld, 9am-2pm
THINGS TO DO
- Climb on a fire truck
- See fire hose demonstrations
- Book to get expert advice on your Bushfire Survival Plan
- Book to have your home inspected for fire safety
- Have photos taken with your local firefighters in uniform