A kitchen fire in a Grafton restaurant saw two two fire crews respond to emergency calls late on Monday afternoon.
A kitchen fire in a Grafton restaurant saw two two fire crews respond to emergency calls late on Monday afternoon. Adam Hourigan

Afternoon kitchen fire closes Prince St restaurant

A GRAFTON chinese restaurant will be out of action in the near future after a kitchen fire spread into the ceiling.

Two fire brigades were called to The Fountain Court Restaurant in Prince St at 4.50pm on Monday to extinguish the fire.

Fire brigade member Col Drayton said a fat or oil fire started on a stove in the kitchen and travelled up an exhaust vent into the ceiling.

Mr Drayton said becuase the fire had spread it threatened nearby businesses, including one downstairs.

"We had to do some salvage work because once the fire got into the ceiling we had to use water on it," he said.

"There is a blind business downstairs which we had to protect against water damage so it could open for business today."

He said the kitchen and ceiling of the restaurant had been damaged.

The restaurant had not opened for business, but staff were in the building at the time, preparing for the night's trade.

No-one was hurt in the fire, which the Grafton and South Grafton brigades attended.



Beach 'idiot' caught doing 'kilometres of donuts'

Beach 'idiot' caught doing 'kilometres of donuts'

Driver will be reported after he was photographed tearing up beach

Two car accident, traffic affected in both directions

Two car accident, traffic affected in both directions

Emergency services are on the scene

Another NBN service fined for ‘misleading’ users

premium_icon Another NBN service fined for ‘misleading’ users

Another NBN provider has been fined for misleading customers

Local Partners