Cash for Containers no more than an election "promise"?
ENVIRONMENTAL campaigners are worried a commitment to introduce a Cash for Containers scheme in New South Wales will be nothing more than an election promise.
NSW Premier Mike Baird announced Saturday that the Cash for Containers scheme, which has been met with strong opposition from the beverage companies that would be expected to wear the cost, will be introduced by June 2017.
Clarence Valley Waste Not Want Not founder and Hand On Nature director Sharon Lehman, who was excited when the initiative was first announced last month, said she was disappointed it would take two years to introduce.
She also said she was concerned about the implications for the proposal if the government changes following next month's state election.
"I'm not sure why the delay when they said it was going to happen in a couple of months," she said.
"It's wonderful that it's happening and what is really great is it is a domino effect and now looks like it's going to come in in other states.
"There's no excuse for NSW not to be in it. If you are going to distribute this packaging then you have to be responsible for what happens at its end of life."
Greens candidate for the seat of Clarence, Janet Cavanaugh, was cynical about the timing of the announcement.
The Baird Government is in caretaker mode until election on March 28 and therefore cannot introduce any new legislation.
"I'm glad the government is standing firm on the commitment, despite lobbying from the beverage industry, and I'm glad the councils have come out in support," Ms Cavanaugh said.
"But it's an election promise.
"The government has been cruising on the goodwill that they've engendered ever since they first announced the scheme in early December."
Ms Cavanaugh has long advocated for the scheme to be introduced nationwide.
"The Greens of course will be advocating for it no matter who wins the election and would support any appropriate legislation," she said.