HEALTHY HABITS: Jess, Monique, Riley and Hayley cooking in the Coutts Café.
HEALTHY HABITS: Jess, Monique, Riley and Hayley cooking in the Coutts Café. Contributed

COUTTS CAFE: Healthy eaters equals healthy minds

LAST year Coutts Crossing Public School decided that we needed to become a healthier school. We began regular fitness and through the Crunch & Sip program we achieved our goal of being healthier. We decided to trial a cooking class and we called it Coutts Café.

This year we will be opening the Coutts Café for business. We are going to include less fattening foods and add healthier foods to our cooking. The exciting thing is that we will be growing our own food. Not only are we learning about how to grow our own food but the benefits that come with eating healthy.

In Term 1, all classes will make their way to Coutts Café. Each term Coutts Café will be making different healthy meals and our first meal will be healthy pizzas!

Coutts is aiming not to buy all the ingredients for cooking and we all know that fruit and vegetables are healthy for you. For example, apples boost your energy system and broccoli and tomatoes are some of the healthiest foods in the world. Healthy foods can even reduce the risk of diseases such as cancer. These will be some of the foods we grow this year. Coutts Crossing Public School is very excited!

Our garden will have all sorts of vegetables, fruits and even herbs! We plan to use the food for Crunch & Sip and for our ingredients in the café. Dave Drewett will be running our Coutts Crossing Public School garden. There is a garden club that is open every Friday.

In science all classes are looking at how to grow our own plants. Kindergarten are growing giant sunflowers and climbing beans. Years 1-2 are looking at mixing types of soil, Years 3-4 have already started planting with Dave and Years 5-6 are growing our own herbs on our verandah.

Research says that around 56% of primary school students do not eat the recommended daily amount of vegetables. The kids at Coutts Crossing Public School are fortunately part of the other 44%.



HEALTH WARNING: Localised outbreak of deadly disease

HEALTH WARNING: Localised outbreak of deadly disease

Approximately 40 cases have been detected since late April.

Advancing Australia with a new anthem

Advancing Australia with a new anthem

Valley's indigenous residents share their views

Retro community mourns the loss of Valley's fashion icon

Retro community mourns the loss of Valley's fashion icon

'You will be forever missed and never forgotten beautiful lady'

Local Partners