Higginbotham could play despite charges
RUGBY UNION: Scott Higginbotham is expected to be named today in the Queensland Reds side to open their Super Rugby campaign against the Sharks at Suncorp Stadium on Friday night, despite police charges hanging over his head.
The former Wallaby is alleged to have threatened police during an incident in Fortitude Valley in the early hours of February 5.
His case was heard in Brisbane Magistrates Court yesterday, with defence lawyer Angelo Venardos saying that footage of the incident, captured on CCTV and police body-worn cameras, was "quite telling".
The case was adjourned to March 22.
Higginbotham, 30, was not in court for the mention.
Venardos said he would ask police to consider dropping the charges of assault and leaving police establishment without lawful excuse.
Venardos said the case had been a distraction to his client's preparation for the upcoming Super Rugby season.
"He's fine, he's doing it pretty tough," Venardos said. "He's grateful his appearance was excused today because it's traumatic to come to court.
"No one likes to be charged by police but he's got nothing to be embarrassed about in my opinion."
The Australian Rugby Union's integrity unit investigated the incident but Higginbotham was never stood down and played a trial match last week.