Hitman Sr swings at date change
JOHN Hartmann and his ‘million dollar’ son have come out swinging at the boxing promoter who enforced a last-minute change of fight schedule.
Grafton-born Jason Hartmann was due to meet Victorian Johannes Mwetupunga for the vacant Australian Middleweight Title at Mansfield Tavern in Brisbane on March 5.
But the Hartmann camp only found out about the date being changed to March 26 via the promoter’s website last Monday.
“It’s more of a disappointment than anything because he (Jason) has got to turn around and change his training,” John said.
“He was feeling a million dollars because he had peaked for this date.
“I know they have got to reassess it all – they knew nothing about it.”
Hartmann, known as ‘Hitman’, spent last week tapering in preparation for the Friday stoush but now has to go back into training.
“He spent this week off because the whole preparation was based on preparing for the fight on this night,” John said.
“Now he’s got to turn around and try and pick it up again.
“We have just got to deal with it.
“In fairness though the other bloke (Mwetupunga) has got to do it as well.”
John Hartmann is hopeful the three-week postponement may be a blessing in disguise, allowing his son to fine-tune any dents in his armour.
“The thing is we don’t really know (how it will affect him) because he hasn’t done it like this before,” he said.
“But if it was only one week it may have been tough to turn around but three weeks may be long enough.”