Insulation safety campaign backed by family of dead man
AN IN-your-face safety campaign warning Queenslanders to cut power before venturing into their ceilings has won support from the father of Matthew Fuller, the first man killed while installing insulation in 2009.
Kevin Fuller has led a four year fight for a Royal Commission to investigate the program.
This week it interrogated senior Labor figures including former prime minister Kevin Rudd.
The campaign - a recommendation made by a coronial inquest into the deaths - will include sausage sizzles, stickers and televisions advertisements.
Attorney-General Jarrod Bleijie stood beside Mr Fuller on Friday to announce the program.
Mr Fuller's death would be followed by three more including that of Rockhampton teenager Rueben Barnes, 16, electrocuted as he entered an electrified ceiling to lay insulation.
On Friday afternoon, Mr Fuller told the Royal Commission he felt Queensland was leading the way by launching the campaign.
"I know the impact of having someone killed," he said.
"Turn the power off before you go into the roof and don't go into the roof unless you have to."
At the announcement earlier in the day, Mr Bleijie said while families may eventually be given answers by the Royal Commission, this could make a difference now.
"There are serious electrical safety risks in our ceilings," he said.
"The best and simplest way people can make them safer is to turn off all the main power at the switchboard before climbing up there."
Free ceiling safety stickers can be ordered from www.justice.qld.gov.au by clicking on a link to the campaign.