Junior bowlers strike good form
GRAFTON Tenpin Bowl was well represented at the recent New South Wales Youth Junior Championships at Lidcombe Bowl.
The Graded Masters and Open Youth under-23s Masters events were held on the weekend of February 12 and 13.
Tyarn Clark, Rachel Pearse and Shanita Clark all qualified for the Graded Masters event, with Shanita being the eventual winner with an average of 159. Rachel was fourth and Tyarn eighth.
Beau Sevil and Simon Pearse qualified for the Open Youth Masters.
Simon bowled an average of 227.8 to win the event and Beau bowled an average of 201.1 to gain ninth place.
On February 19-20 all participated in a team challenge, with good results.
Shanita and Rachel’s team was first in its grade.
Tyarn competed with an ACT team, which placed fourth.
Simon was captain and Beau vice-captain of the Northern NSW boys’ team, which placed second.
Shanita also qualified for the Classic Cup and finished sixth.
Beau, the defending champion, and Simon qualified for the Open Junior Masters and they finished sixth and fourth respectively.
There were some special awards presented during the championships.
Simon got two, one for being ranked No.1 in the NSW under-18 boys’ division last year and one as NSW under-18 Sportsperson of the Year.
Next events for Beau, Simon and Rachel are the junior nationals, to be held in Geelong during April.
Shanita is in the Grafton Country Challenge squad for an event in Coffs Harbour this month.
The events were graded based on gender
- Tyarn Clark – 1st D Grade Singles, 2nd C Grade Doubles, 1st C Grade Trios, 1st D Grade All-Events.
- Shanita Clark – 1st B Grade Singles, 2nd C Grade Doubles, 1st C Grade Trios, 1st B Grade All-Events.
- Rachel Pearce – 2nd C Grade Singles, 1st C Grade Doubles, 1st B Grade Trios, 1st C Grade Trios, 1st C grade All-Events.
- Beau Sevil – 5th Open Singles, 1st Open Doubles, 1st Open Trios, 1st Open All-Events.
- Simon Pearce – 1st Open Doubles, 1st Open Trios, 3rd Open All-Events.