KFC appeals toxic Twister payout

FAST-Food giant KFC has launched an appeal against a court decision to award $8 million in compensation to the family of a young girl who suffered permanent brain damage as result of eating a toxic chicken wrap.

Monika Samaan was seven when she was overcome with salmonella poisoning after eating a KFC Twister at the Villawood store in Sydney's west in 2005.

She lost the use of her legs, was confined to a wheelchair and has never spoken properly since.

Following a drawn-out legal battle, a Sydney judge found poor hygiene practices were to blame for the food poising and ordered KFC to pay $8 million to the Samaan family.

Documents filed in the NSW Supreme Court this week reveal KFC is appealing the decision on the grounds the judge failed to consider some of the evidence.



FIREFRONT: Strengthening winds threaten flare ups

FIREFRONT: Strengthening winds threaten flare ups

More than 60 volunteers are tackling one of the blazes

HURRY: Last chance to secure noise cancelling headphones

HURRY: Last chance to secure noise cancelling headphones

News and headphones - better together

Winter lovin' at the Nymboida Camp Oven

Winter lovin' at the Nymboida Camp Oven

GALLERY: All smiles at the Camp Oven Festival

Local Partners