WARNING CALL: Jonah, Ruby and Charlie now follow Emma Blackburn's (back) advice of not leaving chargers on beds after one caused a house fire.
WARNING CALL: Jonah, Ruby and Charlie now follow Emma Blackburn's (back) advice of not leaving chargers on beds after one caused a house fire. Keagan Elder

Lucky escape: 'We can replace stuff, we can't replace lives'

THE countless motherly warnings not to leave electrical devices charging overnight that usually fell on deaf ears will now ring loud and clear for a Coffs Harbour family.

On Tuesday at about 9.30pm Emma Blackburn was getting her eldest child, Johah, ready for bed when she heard a bang from his bedroom.

When they opened his bedroom door they were met by an intense blaze.

"His room was just glowing," Emma said.

Emma first tried to extinguish the fire herself, using a two-litre juice bottle, but soon gave up.

"Jonah did really well, he called 000," she said.

Emma said Coffs Harbour Fire and Rescue crews arrived within minutes to her rented Shephards Ln home.

"The fire was all over really quick, the firies were over really quick," she said.

Once the fire was put out, Emma said fire crews emerged with the cause of the fire - a bluetooth speaker charger.

"The firies brought it out and said we've found the culprit and it was just mangled," she said.

"It flew out of the wall."

 

LUCKY: Jonah, Charlie, Emma Blackburn and Ruby feel lucky after a charger caused their house fire in Coffs Harbour on Tuesday night.
LUCKY: Jonah, Charlie, Emma Blackburn and Ruby feel lucky after a charger caused their house fire in Coffs Harbour on Tuesday night. Keagan Elder

Emma said her family was pretty lucky despite all of Jonah's content in his room going up in flames.

She said Jonah was usually in bed at that time and the two family dogs usually slept in his room too.

"It could have been so much worse," she said.

"My son may have lost all of his belongings but we can replace stuff, we can't replace lives."

Emma and her son spent the night at Coffs Base Hospital and were treated for smoke inhalation.

She thanked the paramedics and Fire and Rescue crews who responded.

"They not only did a fabulous job at putting out the fire after it became to hot and smoky, but also at trying to calm the kids and reassure them everything was ok," she said.

"My family will be forever grateful that they were so quick at getting here."

Emma parted with one piece of advice all her children now obeyed: "Don't put bloody chargers on beds."



TERRIFIED: Roaming pigs corner elderly woman

TERRIFIED: Roaming pigs corner elderly woman

'If they knocked my mum to the ground they would have killed her'

What is your favourite Australian song?

What is your favourite Australian song?

The DEX has their say for Ausmusic Month

$6000 grant to improve Men's Shed's facilities

$6000 grant to improve Men's Shed's facilities

Local Men's Shed receives $6000 grant.

Local Partners