Lynette Daley death: family says trial must be held here
UPDATE, 1.11pm: THE trial of two men facing charges arising from the death of Lynette Daley should be heard locally says a member of her family.
Speaking outside Grafton Local Court today Ms Daley's stepfather, Gordon Davis, said it would be unfair to the family to have the case heard in Sydney.
"It's important not to do it that way," Mr Davis said.
He said the trial should be heard either in Grafton or Lismore so Ms Daley's family and friends would not have to travel long distances to attend the trial.
In the court local court magistrate Robyn Denes adjourned the cases of Adrian Richard Attwater, 42, and Paul Eric Maris, 46, to November 8.
Attwater is facing charges of manslaughter and aggravated sexual assault in connection with Ms Daley's death on a beach near Iluka in January 2011.
Maris has been charged with being an accessory after the fact to the manslaughter and aggravated sexual assault.
Mr Davis said the violence that erupted outside Grafton Court House after Attwater and Maris fronted Grafton Local Court on August 2, was unfortunate, but could understand it..
"It was all the anger and rage that had built up over all the time it took to bring the case to court," he said.
He said the family and its supporters were reconciled to the idea they would be seeing the accused in court settings in the future.
"There's going to be many more court appearances to come. We know we're going to see them again."
Mr Davis said the family was holding up well and took comfort from the support they received from around the country.
"We've felt the community is supporting us, we know that Australia is behind us. That's all that matters," he said.
In court the magistrate extended a non-publication order of the addresses of the accused to a suppression order.
Attwater's solicitor said the suppression order was necessary because a television news broadcast the suburbs where the pair were staying, contravening the court's non-publication order.
UPDATE, 12PM TUESDAY: ADRIAN Attwater and Paul Maris have once more been excused from appearing in person when their case returns to court on November 8.
During the short mention, Magistrate Robyn Denes authorised the release of the coroner's report and hospital information about the deceased to the legal teams, in order to help them construct their case.
UPDATE, 11AM TUESDAY: THE Grafton courthouse is full this morning, with the case of Adrian Attwater and Paul Maris yet to be mentioned.
The parents of alleged victim Lynette Daley are in the gallery, while Attwater and Maris have been excused from being present in court.
EARLIER: THE CASE of the two men accused of causing the death of Maclean woman Lynette Daley on a beach near Iluka in 2011 is due to return to Grafton Local Court on Tuesday.
The men facing charges arising from the death, Adrian Richard Attwater and Paul Eric Maris, have been excused attending the court today, if legally represented.
The bail hearing for the two men in Grafton Local Court early last month erupted into violence outside the court house after a magistrate granted the pair bail. She also ordered the suppression of the address where the two men lived.
Attwater emerged from the court office after signing his bail papers to an angry crowd of supporters of the Daley family. After some jostling Attwater fled to his car, parked in Fitzroy St, after some punches were thrown.
Maris emerged a short time later and headed to the safety of Grafton Police Station. A short time later he drove off in his car.
In June this year, 42-year-old Attwater was charged with manslaughter and aggravated sexual assault in connection to Ms Daley's death.
Maris, 46, was charged with being an accessory after the fact to manslaughter and aggravated sexual assault.
Neither has entered a plea.