Maclean businesses left devastated by damage

FOUR Maclean businesses have sustained thousands of dollars worth of damage after bricks were thrown through their windows.    The owners of River St businesses Ekletika, the Clarence Canegrowers Association, Endessa's Beauty Spot and Birdscage spent yesterday cleaning up shattered glass and arranging same-day repairs.

  It is believed the offences happened just before 1am yesterday morning, with the alleged culprit, a 20-year-old Maclean man, handing himself into police just minutes later.   He has since been charged with four counts of malicious damage and police have confirmed they are continuing inquiries into possible.    "Police are looking into the exact amount of damage and his involvement," Grafton duty officer Inspector Tony Milner said.    "At this stage the damages are estimated to be in excess of $5000, but that could increase as more victims come forward."

Endessa Schrader of Endessa's Beauty Spot looks through a hole in her front window of her shop in River St Maclean after it had a brick thrown through it last night.
Endessa Schrader of Endessa's Beauty Spot looks through a hole in her front window of her shop in River St Maclean after it had a brick thrown through it last night. Adam Hourigan

  Endessa's Beauty Spot owner Endessa Schrader said she was "extremely unhappy" about the damage her shop front sustained, which extended to a number of handbags which had been on display in the window.    "It probably cut a few of the bags too, but it just made a big mess," she said.    Mrs Schrader said she was one of the first to learn of the damage, after an employee arrived about 7am. It is also the second time the shop has been broken into in recent months.    Down the road at Eklektika, about half of the contents in the window display of the shop smashed or destroyed.    Maclean Community Action Group president Ian McLennan, a friend of the owner, said there had been a lot of delicate crystal and glass items for sale in the window that was targeted.   "It's all fine and will all be fixed, but it's disappointing," he said.    "They were obviously working their way down the street. I was (led to believe) they used pavers from in front of the burnt out shop next to the fire station." The 20-year-old male alleged to be responsible for the attack has been bailed conditionally and is expected to appear at Maclean Local Court on April 12. 



More asbestos found on beach

More asbestos found on beach

Council to manage contamination situation

Blogger's lawyer defends 'Rolf Harris' comment

premium_icon Blogger's lawyer defends 'Rolf Harris' comment

'She's not saying Serge Benhayon behaved like Rolf Harris' jury told

Million-dollar opportunity for Grafton greyhound

premium_icon Million-dollar opportunity for Grafton greyhound

Bokarm Dean in running for Ladbrokes Million Dollar Chase

Local Partners